Friday, October 10, 2014

Pancakes to crepes in one quick jaunt across the ocean

Back in Knoxville we had a lovely family tradition on Saturday mornings.  Georgia and I would make pancakes or waffles for the whole family.  When we got here I had a really hard time finding gluten free flour or baking powder (mostly due to the brutal translation issues involved, everyone speaks English, but baking supplies require a really high level of fluency), so we were stymied for a time.

Then I figured out that buckwheat flour (which is poorly named in English and is in fact GF) is readily available at every store along with wheat flour.  I'm not kidding about that either, at the Slovenian equivalent of a 7-11 buckwheat flour sits right next to wheat flour.

Anyhow, Georgia and I decided to try our hands at buckwheat crepes, using the traditional French recipe, and to magnificent effect!  Here she is whipping up the batter:
I'm in charge of cooking them:

And naturally Dahlia takes charge of slathering them with Nutella.  Once dressed I think it is fair to say that crepes are well preferred to waffles or pancakes!  And do not be fooled by the presence of strawberries in the photo, those are only for Indya and me.

1 comment:

  1. Very Noteworthy that a wonderful Knoxville Kincannon Barton tradition not only translates well To Ljubljana, but triumphs in a taste test. Also loved you and Georgia used "the traditional French crepe recipe"...You two are aces!!!! love mom/g'ma

    ReplyDelete